Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Zut alors - I have a job!



(bittersweet chocolate torte with fresh berries and whipped creme fraiche)

Is it possible that my little baby will be turning 5 in two short months? Is it possible that I haven't had a "real" job that entire time? Choosing to be a stay at home mom has been hugely rewarding and by far the most difficult job I've ever had. Now that Graham's happily in preschool, I am very excited to be embarking on a new venture.

When I met my husband ten years ago, he had just graduated from culinary school and was working his way up the ranks at some of San Francisco's most respected restaurants - Boulevard, Rubicon, Zuni, Redwood Park, Kokkari. He reached the level of executive chef a few years ago, but hadn't found the perfect job until now. A brand new restaurant, his own menu, a talented staff of his choosing, closer to home and an opening for a pastry chef! The restaurant, called Zut!, will focus on regional Mediterranean cuisine using seasonal, local ingredients. It's located on the fabulous 4th Street in Berkeley (with a very tempting Anthropologie around the corner).

After focusing on fondant, cupcakes & kids parties for the past few years, it was a little daunting to go back into a restaurant and come up with desserts for the out of preschool palette. After a few weeks of experimentation and the encouragement of a very nice boss (thanks, honey!), we have settled on five desserts for the opening menu - chocolate torte (pictured above), muscovado pot de creme, plum jam crostata, Greek yogurt with walnuts, honey & dried fruit, and fresh strawberry granita with pistachio macarons. Phew!

With less than a week until our grand opening (August 31st), I'm loving my new job and hoping we will have throngs of customers to try out my creations.

6 comments:

  1. Glory and I will be there with bells on in October!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to come try everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about the bells part, maybe I'll have to borrow some from Sharnel... but I will look forward to joining Sharnel for a visit, and we'll be glad to try a couple of those delicious sounding desserts!
    ~Glory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! I have a large contingent of San Diego peeps wanting to make the trip...we might have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Your desserts sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you and congratulations! I'm a SAHM and find myself dreaming at times of having a "real job" haha : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...